THE Spencer Gulf Prawn Fishery will continue being managed by both the state government and industry, following what has been labelled a successful first-year trial.
NEW recommendations from the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy advise introducing peanuts and eggs to babies in the first year of life to prevent allergy development.
A FORMER local is asking living organ donors from rural areas to participate in a study to share their experiences.
THE remaining shell of the Ethel, a 711-tonne three-masted barque, is exposed as it sits on a bed of sand at the base of the cliffs on the now aptly-named Ethel Beach, Innes National Park.
THE first Edithburgh swimming carnival held in decades attracted a group of enthusiastic children, and their supportive families, on Sunday morning, January 20.
ANY hope of saving the old Victoria Square, Kadina, toilet block was flushed after the Copper Coast Council meeting last Wednesday, January 16.
CAPTAIN Henry Richard Hancock was a well-known expert and legendary figure of the mining world, particularly on Yorke Peninsula.
Barunga West Council area
- Bute: Breakfast at the Bute Soldiers Memorial Hall from 8am with award presentations at 9am.
- Port Broughton: Breakfast on the foreshore from 7.30am and awards presented from 9am.
Copper Coast Council area
- Moonta: Breakfast barbecue at Moonta Bay foreshore as fundraiser for Variety The Children’s Charity from 7.30am until 10.30am. Barbecue lunch at RSL clubrooms 11.30am-4pm, meals from 12.30pm.
- Wallaroo: Apex breakfast at the town hall from 7.30am until 9.30am. Kadina Wallaroo Moonta Band performing 8.45am. Presentations including Caroline Carleton Memorial wreath laying ceremony, messages from Copper Coast Council mayor Roslyn Talbot, award presentation and citizenship ceremony from 9.15am.
Yorke Peninsula Council area
- Ardrossan: Buffet breakfast at the community club from 8am. Australia Day quiz and presentation of community person of the year.
- Edithburgh: Walk the Yorke from Coobowie to Edithburgh or along the mosaic trail from Sultana Point to Edithburgh — gold coin donation with proceeds to Edithburgh tidal pool renovations. Sausage sizzle at the pool from 9.30am.
- Hardwicke Bay: Sausage sizzle at community hall from noon.
- Maitland: Breakfast at the town hall ballroom, cooked my Maitland Lions Club, with guest speaker Sarah Francis (New York Marathon runner). Presentation of citizens of the year from 8.30am.
- Minlaton: Yorke Peninsula Council award presentations at 2pm featuring guest speaker, actor Wayne Anthoney.
- Port Julia: Ceremony at 9am followed by brunch in the community hall hosted by Port Julia Progress Association.
- Port Victoria: Flag raising ceremony at 10.30am, guest speaker Vanessa Boully (SOS Yorkes) followed by lunch catered by Port Victoria CWA.
- Port Vincent: Breakfast at the wharf, barbecues from 8am.
- Stansbury: Breakfast on the foreshore cooked by Stansbury Dalrymple Lions from 8am to 9am then presentation of Stansbury’s citizen of the year.
- Wool Bay: Breakfast on the clifftop hosted by Wool Bay Progress Association from 7.30am to 9am.
- Yorketown: Breakfast at Weaners Flat Hall, hosted by Yorketown Progress Association, from 8am.
YORKE Peninsula Council is doing things a little differently at this year’s Australia Day event in Minlaton.