Your View: Problems connecting

LIKE many Telstra customers I recently received a letter advising my landline/internet would be disconnected on July 18, and inviting me to apply for the National Broadband Network.

With trepidation I called the number supplied and the usual ensued, many minutes of waiting.

Finally, a friendly consultant answered spoke of various plans. When none of these were of use to me I was moved to another consultant. Eventually common ground was reached and I had a new plan.

The plan and conditions were emailed to me and to complete the transaction I was asked to stay on the line while all conditions were read to me. Then just as it was coming to a close, I was told a connection fee of $99 applied. I immediately queried this cost and was informed this was a Telstra fee.

At this point I reminded this person I had been a customer since 1968, and felt this was unfair. They asked if I wished to proceed with the contract. I said not if this payment stood, and the call ended.

I have since opened the email and found there was a connection fee of $99 plus a Telstra Smart Modem for $216.

I have since spoken to the Telecommunications Ombudsman who, while agreeing this payment seemed over the top, could do nothing as it was a pricing issue and not a service issue. The ombudsman directed me to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. After 20 minutes waiting on the line I gave up.

I have no truck with Telstra staff but have had several other issues. Needless to say I will not be going with Telstra for my landline/data. My regret is I can see my Telstra shares dropping in value as others experience similar problems.

Dennis Nussio, Moonta Bay

To view full articles in the CURRENT issue click HERE and follow the prompts to subscribe to YPCT-E.
For all previous issues please contact our office on 8821 1155.

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.